Guten Morgen!
This read was interesting because previously, I had no idea that Germans were so closely related to Americans. I think my knowledge of World Wars (Weltkriege) played a huge role in my misconception, "German heritage probably makes up smallest portion of U.S. population." The article does say that:
"World War I, with the anti-German sentiments
it engendered, has often been assigned sole blame for the
“submergence” of German-American identity."
Therefore, the fact that there are so many American words derived from German words is striking to me. Words such as "Delicatessen" and "Doppelganger" are some of the words I been using, thinking they were purely American! Just the realization of how much influence German culture/root has had in America put me in a new perspective. My other thought regarding this article is how unfortunate it is that the German root is forgotten...like how I didn't
know the extent of German root in American culture until I read this article. Also, it's a pity that people are driven to pursue commercialism rather than preserving and depicting the truth. One example is Bambi, through which Disney gained profit from portraying Bambi with a story twisted from the original story by Felix Salten. Another example is Sound of Music, which "created an image of Austria that bears little resemblance to either historical or modern reality."

Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.