Guten Tag!
Deutsch ist schwer. This was my facebook status was I was doing the online homework and now that I'm reading Mark Twain's The Awful German Langauge, I had to repeat the phrase. From our perpective, German seems very different from English, even though English is a Germanic language. From European stand point, English is also a weird language. French, Spanish, Latin, and German have gender nouns, but English doesn't. This is why when Mark Twain's essay was translated, the pronouns in the translation sounded awkward. The English pronouns he, she, it, they, us, and you made the whole essay very difficult to understand. Because I've learned Latin in high school, I have a basic understanding of how noun genders work. However, I can't imagine how confusing it must be for other students who never seen gender nouns before in their life.
The sentence structures of the essay also seemed awkward. I don't understand German grammar enough to explain why, but there also must be a component that makes German to English translation and vice-versa hard. I thought German would be enough since English is a Germanic language, but I learned that no language, including German, is easy to learn, as I've experienced with Latin and Chinese.
Deutsch ist schwer. This was my facebook status was I was doing the online homework and now that I'm reading Mark Twain's The Awful German Langauge, I had to repeat the phrase. From our perpective, German seems very different from English, even though English is a Germanic language. From European stand point, English is also a weird language. French, Spanish, Latin, and German have gender nouns, but English doesn't. This is why when Mark Twain's essay was translated, the pronouns in the translation sounded awkward. The English pronouns he, she, it, they, us, and you made the whole essay very difficult to understand. Because I've learned Latin in high school, I have a basic understanding of how noun genders work. However, I can't imagine how confusing it must be for other students who never seen gender nouns before in their life.
The sentence structures of the essay also seemed awkward. I don't understand German grammar enough to explain why, but there also must be a component that makes German to English translation and vice-versa hard. I thought German would be enough since English is a Germanic language, but I learned that no language, including German, is easy to learn, as I've experienced with Latin and Chinese.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.