It was also interesting to read about all the hardships that the German people had to endure. Such as the racial profiling during World War 1&2 and loosing their beer during prohibition, lets be honest we all know which one was worse for them ( <3 Germans). Somehow they got through it all (it probably had something to do with 8.99€ bottles of Jagermeister), it makes me proud to be of German heritage and the cultural and ethnic bond I share with my fellow Germans over in Europe and over in Frankenmuth.
Dienstag, 13. September 2011
How German is America (and me!)
This article was very interesting for me, even though most of it was over my head. I'm going to be honest I don't remember all of the different Vereine or religious groups from the article, but it did get me thinking about my family's German heritage and the reason that our heritage isn't as important to us as it is to a lot of other ethnic groups. When I was young I thought legit Germans only lived in Frankenmuth (I was upset when I found out they weren't really Germans); It seems that I might have missed the piece of Germany right in my household. My grandma is 100% German and we've always called her Oma (grandmother in German I believe) ever since I was little and she used to talk to my aunts/uncles in Germglish. On occasion I've heard the phrase "That's a schade" used by my grandma and family, apparently it is from the German phrase "Das ist aber schade," which translates into "That's a shame." She used to be able to speak fluent German, but now only remembers the swear words (literally the first thing everyone looks up when they learn a foreign language anyways).
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.