Dienstag, 13. September 2011
I really found the part of this article interesting where they compared the German immigrants with that of other European immigrants. For example, in the article it says that German Protestants had much more in common with Catholic immigrants than with American Protestants, because of their pub culture and other traditions. I found this very interesting, as that is not something I would have thought before. Also, I enjoyed the part of the article where it discusses the political orientation of most German immigrants, and links the broken up state of Germany with American politics. Because Germans were used to so much regional difference in government and even language and culture, it would only seem natural that they would choose to support political parties emphasizing smaller, regional (state) power over that of the national government, which they were never as familiar with. Perhaps, (and especially because German American's make up the largest population in our country) they had a large, longterm effect on American politics, entrenching America in their culture that way, along with their language and religious beliefs.
Abonnieren
Kommentare zum Post (Atom)
^ The above post is Stephanie L's. Just clearing that up
AntwortenLöschen