Dienstag, 13. September 2011

Find America to be more German!

Hallo,

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I felt that I was unaware of the German culture until I started high school. In fact, the only thing I knew related to me in German was Kindergarten, or the garden of children. Yet again, I have been surrounded by it throughout my childhood. I remember eating bratwurst all the time when my family went to the beach and had cookouts. Never knowing where the origin comes from, I always just ate the delicious bratwurst. :D

Now focusing on the article, I found it amazing to find Germans so socially and religiously involved in their communities. For instance, the article states that they had a "symbolic and practical importance of the forest in German culture", which basically means they were not very accustomed to city-life. This interested me because my older sister lives in Wisconsin and I could definitely tell that there was a "groß" population dispersed throughout the state. In fact, I mostly see decorations and welcome signs in German inside restaurants, hotels, banks, and even markets. This was the first, real taste of German culture to me.

Another fact that interested me in the article was the use of "Denglisch." Now as an avid reader, I was surprised to see the word "bestseller" (i.e. New York's Top Bestseller book). Who knew that I was using such language at the time.

All in all, I am quite impressed on the German influence in America. I can't wait to learn more so I can talk to my friends in Germany.

Auf Weidersehn. :D

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.