I found this entire article to be very interesting historically. I had observed throughout my life that there are a lot of people with German heritage, but I did not know the background of their vehement passion for their own culture.
The German culture has always held a very distinct image for me and I see it is from the nearly sieben million Germans that immigrated here before 1900. The clubs, such as the Turner Clubs, they formed obviously kept(sort of) their culture alive for a few decades in America. The New World opportunities for the Germans did not mean that they would leave their culture in Europe.
The German language effecting our everyday speech is also amazing. Unless specifically pointed out, I don't really think about all the German influenced words I speak a day. I had brats for dinner tonight, and I get pretzels every time I do to the mall. Germans and their heritage have really created some impact in American life.
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.