For mein fifth AMD, I decided I wanted to watch a cartoon movie in German. I am slightly in love with the movie Aladdin, so I decided to watch it in German and see how much I could understand. Now, the first time I watched this movie it was actually in Spanish, and then I watched it in English years later. Finally, years after watching it in English, I get to watch auf Deutsch. Knowing what people are saying in the movie really does help to broaden my vocabulary.
The movie begins by Jafar going to the Wunderhölen, which is the Cave of Wonders. When Aladdin is in jail and meets Jafar, he says "Es existiert eine hölen, eine Wunderhölen". Once they get to the cave, it asks them why did they disturb its Schlummer (slumber). Since they speak slower in these scenes, it was easier to pick up on what they were saying.
Next up we have the scenes in the streets of Agrabah. Here we see a fat girl cradling Aladdin in her arms, and I thought it was very funny that the word she used to describe what she's do to him was fressen. Slightly inappropriate for a kids' movie? Maybe. But then on the other hand, they refer to the "street rat" Aladdin as a Strassenjunge, which I feel just doesn't have the intensity that "street rat" has...but maybe that's just lost in translation.
Next we go to the Wunderhölen again, where we are introduced to the magic carpet, which they translate into ein fliegender Teppisch, which is "flying" carpet, not "magic". Another not direct translation I found here is that Jafar says he will give Aladdin "ihre letzte Beohnung", or his last reward. In the Spanish and English version he actually says he will give him his "eternal" reward, as he moves in to kill him. However, later on there is a funny direct translation which I appreciated. The Genie jokes by asking if they mind if he smokes, and then bursts into a cloud of smoke laughing. The word he used in Deutsch was also rauchen, so I assume the joke was preserved.
Now that Aladdin has three wishes (und drei auch!) he goes back as Prince Ali with his new Wunderlampe and goes to get his beloved princess. He asks her "vertrauen Sie mir?" to get her trust and then they go on a wonderful trip all over the world. However, his lies catch up to him and Jafar ends up getting his lamp. This means that Aladdin must go back and beat him, which of course he does. Finally, he sets the Genie free. Genie is happy saying "Ich bin frei!!!" and he asks Aladdin to wish for the Nile (Wunsch für die Nil!), and when he does he gladly says NEINNN!!! because he is free and doesn't have to do as he is told.
And that's Aladdin for you...auf Deutsch! Great movie...
Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
Hinweis: Nur ein Mitglied dieses Blogs kann Kommentare posten.